Withdrawal and Refunds

Withdrawal from a course or from the University on a temporary or permanent basis involves a procedure as formal as that of registration. Notice to the instructor or continued absence from class does not constitute a withdrawal, and the only result from such action will be the assignment of the grade “WF,” which is considered a failing grade and is computed in the cumulative average. To safeguard the academic record, therefore, as well as to secure any refund, the student must give formal notice to Enrollment Services and follow the proper withdrawal procedures in Rodman Hall, Room 205 or 206. The student may choose to initiate a withdrawal from all courses with no intent to return (“Permanent Withdrawal”) or withdrawal with the intent to return (“Leave of Absence”). A withdrawal initiated by a student can be superseded by appropriate University action in the event of disciplinary action, academic dismissal or suspension. A Leave of Absence will not delay program expiration dates. Students who intend to withdraw completely from the University or from all of the courses in which they are enrolled should also contact the appropriate Assistant Dean for guidance on academic issues.

Withdrawals during the first week of class leave no indication of the course on the student’s transcript. For withdrawals between the 2nd and 12th week of a regular semester, a W appears on the transcript; this is the time of “withdrawal without prejudice.” No withdrawals are permitted after the 12th week.

Final dates for the above periods are indicated in the academic calendar.

The following percentages of the charge for tuition will be refunded if obligations have been paid in full, or credited if there is a balance due.

Fall and Spring Semester

Within the first week of class 100%
Within the second week of class 67%
Within the third week of class 33%
After the third week of class 0%

Summer Semester

On or before the second class meeting day 100%
On the third through fifth class meeting day 50%
After the fifth class meeting day 0%

Independent of the institution tuition policy, federal regulations require that any student who completely withdraws from the University and is a recipient of Federal Title IV Financial Aid is subject to a separate policy regarding refund and repayment of those funds. The details can be found at: http://sites.jcu.edu/aid/pages/financial-aid-policies/john-carroll-universitys-withdrawal-return-of-title-iv-funds-policy/.