Application Procedures

The easiest way to apply to John Carroll University is through the Common Application. Students may apply to the University online at There is no fee to apply to John Carroll.

  1. Submit a Common Application to the Office of Admission. Candidates for the first-year class may apply for admission at any time during their senior year of high school, but not more than 12 months prior to entrance.

    Note: Students planning on majors in business will apply for admission directly to the Boler College of Business.
  2. Arrange with the high school(s) attended to send complete transcripts to the Office of Admission. Students who are home-schooled should have any and all supporting documentation and transcripts submitted, such as the grading scale or methods of evaluation used, course descriptions, and any information about a distance-learning program or homeschooler’s association.
  3. Ask a guidance counselor and/or teacher at the high school last attended to complete the School Report and/or the Teacher Evaluation through the Common Application and send it with the transcript to the Office of Admission.
  4. Submit the results of testing by either the College Board (SAT) or the American College Testing (ACT) Program. See the “Testing” section below.
  5. Applicants wishing to apply for need-based financial aid should complete and submit online the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form found at This form is used to award institutional as well as federal and state assistance. All applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a FAFSA, regardless of family income. The form should be submitted for processing any time after October 1 of the senior year.

Application Deadlines

The Office of Admission has specific admission application and notification dates for first-year applicants. Please refer to the admission website at for the most current information as dates may change from year to year. Typically, our deadlines are as follows:

  • December 1: Early Action I (non-restrictive) and Priority Scholarship Consideration; decisions released the third week of December
  • December 2–February 1: Rolling admission; decisions released every 7–10 days from mid-January through mid-March
  • After February 1: Rolling admission on a space-available basis

To be fully considered for all of our merit scholarship programs, students should apply for first-year admission by the priority scholarship deadline of December 1.

Enrollment Confirmation

Admitted students reserve their place in the first-year class by submitting an Enrollment Reservation Form and a $300 enrollment deposit. This deposit is refundable until May 1 by written request and non-refundable after May 1 for applicants who fail to register or who withdraw after registration.

First-year applicants who are not commuting are required to live on campus for their first two years. Applicants must indicate on their Enrollment Reservation Form whether or not they intend to live on campus. Commuting is defined as living exclusively in the permanent and primary residence of a parent or legal guardian. The home of the parent or guardian must be within 35 miles of the John Carroll University campus. Once a student establishes his/her status as a resident, he/she must seek approval for a change of status to commuter. Formal requests can be made through the Office of Residence Life through the Request for Release process.

There is no deadline for enrollment deposits; however, May 1 is the last date which will guarantee an accepted applicant a place in the first-year class and/or a place in the residence halls. Any requests received after that date will be accepted on a space-available basis at the discretion of the Office of Admission and, in the case of residence hall status, the Office of Residence Life.


All degree-seeking first-year applicants must submit the results of testing by either the College Board (SAT) or the American College Testing (ACT) Program.

SAT: Applicants taking the SAT should present the results from examinations taken in either their junior or senior year of secondary school. To have scores sent directly to the University, please use John Carroll’s SAT code, which is 1342.

Students may obtain registration forms and general information from their secondary school guidance office or the College Board website

Regarding the College Board’s optional Score Choice feature, John Carroll University considers an applicant’s highest section scores across all SAT test dates that are submitted. Applicants should feel free to send any additional scores that they want to make available to John Carroll.

ACT: Students planning to complete the battery of tests administered through the American College Testing Program may obtain information and registration forms from their secondary school guidance office or the ACT website To have scores sent directly to the University, use John Carroll’s ACT code, which is 3282. John Carroll University does not require the additional Writing Test offered by ACT.

Please Note: Students whose first language is a language other than English and/or who attended a secondary school where instruction was in a language other than English must submit the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam in lieu of SAT or ACT scores.

International Admission

Candidates for admission who officially reside in countries outside of the U.S. and are not U.S. citizens must file an application and provide official transcripts, with an accompanying grading scale, certifying their complete secondary education. The application documents and these credentials (with English translations) must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the term for which the student intends to register.

Applicants should also present the results of one of the following qualifying examinations: the College Board (SAT), the American College Testing (ACT), the TOEFL, or the IELTS. We further require international applicants to provide a photocopy of their passport as part of their application file. International applicants are not eligible to submit a FAFSA unless they are dual citizens (of the U.S. and another country).

After being admitted, international students who are seeking institutional financial aid also must complete the Financial Guarantee Statement, which is a declaration of financial resources available to meet obligations incurred while attending the University. International students are required to provide proof of student health insurance.

Immigration laws require foreign students on a student visa (F-1) to carry a full course of study in every semester of the academic year to maintain their status.

Transfer Admission

To be considered as a transfer student, a student must have previously earned a high school diploma or equivalent. The completion of any college-level courses while in high school alone does not make one a transfer student and would require completion and review of an application for first-year admission.

Students in good academic and behavioral standing at another accredited university, college, or community college are welcome to apply for transfer to John Carroll University. The University considers academic record, recommendations, character, and evidence of commitment to studies when evaluating a transfer applicant for admission. John Carroll reserves the right to deny admission to any applicant.

Transfer applicants on probation, suspended, or dismissed for any reason from another accredited university, college, or community college are ineligible for admission until one calendar year has elapsed from the date of such probation, suspension, or dismissal and will not be admitted except by special action of the Committee on Admission.

Transfer students should submit to the Office of Admission official copies of college transcripts from all colleges attended. Failure to report collegiate-level attendance at any institution will make a student liable for immediate dismissal. A high school transcript and SAT or ACT scores must be submitted ONLY for applicants who have completed fewer than 24 semester hours at a college or university or when requested by the Committee on Admission. In addition, a Transfer Reference Form must be submitted from the applicant’s current school or the school most recently attended; the form can be found at

Transfer students must be in good standing at the time of application. For those who have attended only one college or university, the most recent term average and the cumulative average must be 2.0 or better to be considered for admission. For those who have attended more than one college or university, the most recent term average and the cumulative average at the home school must be 2.0 or better to be considered for admission. In addition, the cumulative average for all schools attended must be 2.0 or better. A GPA of 2.5 or above, however, is strongly recommended.

Students may apply to transfer to the University using the institution’s online application, found at There is no fee to apply to John Carroll University. Applications should be submitted by August 1 for the fall semester or by January 1 for the spring semester.